Friday, February 5, 2010

Flashback Friday- Time for a Little Fun :)

Need a good laugh today? I have been working with polymer clay since I was eight years-old (which was a few years ago ;) ) and yes I do still have some of those pieces. I thought it might be fun to show you a few of those pieces from way back when. I will try to do this each Friday for at least the next few weeks.

Today I selected some of my very first cane work. I have learned a few things about caning since then but am sorry to say that cane work is still a real challenge for me.


Christmas Heart- My very first cane ( I think). I believe I was 14 when I made this. If you notice around the heart, the color changes slightly. I think I ran out of the clay I was using and used a different color. :) Lesson one- make sure you have enough clay to finish the project! LOL










Toy Soldier Cane- This piece came a few years later. While better than the first example, I still did not really have enough clay (it was not as readily available as it is today), nor did I have the right tools. Things like a tissue or clay blade, a pasta machine, a brayer or a clay roller can make all the difference in the world. One of the lessons I have learned is to use the same brand of clay for each color in the cane. That way the clay will all be the same consistency. It makes a tremendous difference!

And finally....

Long before the Skinner blend, there was a technique called color shading!

I tried this.. once.





I can't believe I actually tried to sell these pieces! Again, this was a lesson in having enough clay and the right tools. From what I remember I had just enough to cut the four slices above and used a cookie cutter to cut the two hearts from the remaining scraps. Oh and probably the most important lesson I learned, let the cane rest before trying to reduce it or slice it. EEK!

I think I will leave the cane work to the professionals. LOL

Thanks for taking a trip back in time with me.

All the best,

2 comments:

  1. Awww Jamie! Too cool! I'm pretty cane challenged too. Just don't have the patience for it. I really enjoyed seeing these, and I think Flashback Fridays is a GREAT idea!

    I stopped by to give you the Sunshine Award because your work makes me smile!

    Please stop by my blog to pick up your award!

    http://designsbyginnybaker.blogspot.com/

    Hugs,
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you Ginny!!! You are so sweet! I have admired your work for a long time and I am honored that you selected me for this award.

    Thanks so much,
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete